Family titles in Korean
Immediate family titles
- 어머니[eomeoni] Mother. (also 엄마[eomma] Mon, and 어머님[eomeonim] honorific from of mother, see use of 님[Nim] here)
- 아버지[abeoji] Father.(also 아빠[appa] dad, and 아버님[abeonim])
- 형[hyeong] older brother (called by younger brother).
- 오빠[oppa] older brother (called by younger sister).
- 누나[nuna] older sister (called by younger brother).
- 언니[eonni] older sister (called by younger sister).
- 동생[dongsaeng] brother or sister (no gender specific).
- 여동생[yeodongsaeng] younger sister.
- 남동생[namdongsaeng] younger brother.
- 어머님, 안녕히 주무셨어요? [eomeonim, annyeonghi jumusyeoseoyo?] Dear mother, did you sleep very well.
- 아빠, 점심식사 하세요.[appa, jeomsimsiksa haseyo] Dad, have a lunch. (Dad, lunch is ready, please come and have a lunch).
- 형, 농구하러 가자.[hyeong, nongguhareo gaja.] Older brother, let's go to play a basketball.
- 오빠, 어디가?[oppa, eodiga?] Old brother, where are you going?
- 누나, 용돈 좀 주라.[nuna, yongdon jom jura] Older sister, give me some pocket money.
- 언니, 이거 이쁘지?[eonni, igeo ippeuji?] Older sister, this is pretty, isn't it?
- 지금 동생이 학교 갔어요.[jigeum dongsaengi hakgyo gaseoyo.] Right now My younger brother (or sister) went to school.
- 우리 남동생은 정말 요리를 잘 해요.[uri namdongsaengeun jeongmal ryorireul jal haeyo.] My brother cooks really well.
Immediate family names variations (from a male point of view, if you are female just replace 형 with 오빠 and 누나 with 언니). I am also going to pretend that I have 2 older brothers, 2 older sisters, 2 younger brothers, and 2 younger sisters.
- 큰형[keunhyeong] oldest brother, 큰[keun] means big or large
- 작은형[jageunhyeong] brother who is older than you but not the oldest, 작은[jageun] means small, or short.
- 큰누나[keunnuna] oldest sister. (called by younger brother)
- 작은누나[jageunnuna] sister who is older than you but not the oldest (called by younger brother)
- 큰동생[keundongsaeng] younger brother or sister who is right below you (age-wise)
- 둘째 동생[duljjae dongsaeng] 2nd younger brother or sister
- 셋째 동생[setjjae dongsaeng] 3rd younger brother or sister
- 막내동생[mangnaedongsaeng] youngest brother or sister
Father's side family titles
- 할머니[Halmeoni] grandmother.
- 할아버지[Harabeoji] grandfather.
- 큰아버지[Keunabeoji] father's oldest brother.
- 큰어머니[Keuneomeoni] wife of father's oldest brother.
- 작은아버지[Jageunabeoji] father's younger brother.
- 작은어머니[Jageuneomeoni] wife of father's younger brother
- 삼촌[Samchon] father's younger brother = 작은아버지
- 숙모[Sungmo] wife of father's younger brother = 작은어머니
- 사촌[Sachon] cousin (father sides)
- 사촌형[Sachonhyeong] old cousin brother (called by younger male)
- 사촌오빠[Sachonoppa] old cousin brother (called by younger female)
- 사촌누나[Sachonnuna] old cousin sister (called by younger male)
- 사촌언니[Sachoneonni] old cousin sister (called by younger male)
- 사촌동생[Sachondongsaeng] younger cousin (no gender specific)
- 조카[joka] nephew or niece.
- 고모[Gomo] father's sister
- 고모부[Gomobu] husband of father's sister.
- 고종사촌[Gojongsachon] cousin from father's female siblings.
Mother's side family titles
- 외할아버지[oeharabeoji] mother's father
- 외할머니[oehalmeoni] mother's mother.
- 외삼촌[oesamchon] mother's brother.
- 외숙모[oesungmo] wife of mother's brother.
- 외사촌[oesachon] son and daughter of mother's brothers
- 이모[imo] mother's female sibling.
- 이모부[imobu] husband of mother's female sibling
- 이종사촌[ijongsachon] son or daughter of mother's sisters.